For the next few weeks UBC-UAEM will have many events going on so remember to read the entirety of the ‘Weekly Update’s in order to make sure you don’t miss out on any of the opportunities:
- There will be a team meeting tonight in Buchanan B304, at 6PM. A reminder that the team meetings will be a chance to focus on specific issues that UBC-UAEM tackles instead of addressing everything related to the club as we do at our general meetings. As of now only the research team has indicated that they are meeting here tonight, and thus if you would like to discuss issues related to any of the other teams, it would be best to contact their directors, found here!
- We are planning a movie screening for next week Tuesday October 22nd at TBA in TBA. The movie (TBA) will give for global health enthusiasts to learn more about the issues UBC-UAEM tackles as well as enjoy quality cinematography. As such this is an excellent way for your peers an colleagues to get involved with the organization so please let them know about the event! The event will be free, and more information will be coming shortly. We are also planning an alternate screening on Tuesday October 24th at the Vancouver General Hospital. More details regarding this second screening will become available shortly.
- Our first social event of the year is planned (tentatively) for Tuesday October 29th and will allow members of UBC-UAEM to interact with one another in a more social setting and have an overall good time. The entrance fee will be 5$ but free for members of UBC-UAEM. More information will come as soon as its available.
- Universities Allied for Essential Medicines invites you to join us for UAEM’s 2013 International Student Conference on the weekend of November 15-17 at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. UAEM welcomes all students interested in global health, access to medicines and innovative research for neglected diseases to attend! Please share this invitation widely.
At UAEM’s annual conference, students from around the world gather to hear from expert speakers and gain knowledge on critical issues in global health. Panels and workshops will focus on improving the global affordability of medicines discovered at universities, expanding research on neglected health needs, and mobilizing student advocacy to achieve both of these goals. The conference is a unique opportunity to build relationships, exchange ideas, and plan your own campus campaigns.
As always, registration is free and travel funding assistance is available.
If you are interested in attending, please let us know, as we would like to apply to the conference as a group in order to curb costs. Thank you!
- I know that a few of the members have expressed interest in attending the conference during our meetings, and I ask that you message me as well to confirm that you would like to attend as it would help to have everything on record. Thanks!
- Both UAEM and MSF have campaigned strongly against the Trans Pacific Partnership, a multilayer deal involving pharmaceutical companies securing a tighter grip on the flow of medicines, and the UBC chapters of both these organizations (UBC-UAEM and Friends of MSF) are no different. However much of the general public does not fully understand, or is not even aware of, the TPP, and the first step in advocacy is awareness. We will be planning a TPP collaboration meeting in order members of both clubs to come together and raise awareness of the deal. If you are interested in attending, please fill out this doodle with the times you are free. In addition please message me and you will be put on the meeting’s mailing list. Thank you!
- The Global Health Initiative has warmly invited UBC-UAEM to speak at one of their upcoming workshops on November 15th at 6:30 PM in MSAC Latham Hall (at Vancouver General Hospital). If you are interested in taking a more involved role with UBC-UAEM and global health, and are interested in this sort of opportunity please let us know! Both speaking at and attending the event is a great way to get involved in global health issues.
- Membership cards for 2013/14 are now available! Membership will be available at our meetings for 5$ and will provide free entry to all UBC-UAEM social events throughout the year. Plus all members are super awesome, so make sure to sign up! :)
- If you, or anyone you know, took photos during our recent conference, and would be okay with having them displayed on our website, let us know! We’re looking to replace some of the more dated photographs were current ones!
- If anyone has recently picked up a disbursement and still has the receipts for it, please give them to me whenever possible. Our funding agencies require that we attach the receipts in order to qualify for the funding.
- If anyone else has purchased on behalf of the club, but has not received their disbursement, a reminder that disbursements are not likely to be mailed, and thus you must go to the AMS office (open weekdays 9-4:30) in order to pick up. The receipts will be filed under ‘A’ for ‘Allied’. If they are not there, please contact me with a copy of the receipt as well as the original and I will get the money to you shortly.
- Execs who have not submitted their writeup and photo are advised to do so at their earliest convenience.
- Because of tech issues, emails may be getting sent to some people twice. If this is happening to you, please let us know, and we will do our best to to fix it. Also note that because of other outstanding issues, the firstname.lastname@example.org account will not be used for updates, and should not be contacted if you want to talk to just one of us, please either send a message to my email, email@example.com, or to any of the other executive emails, found on the “About Us” page. Thank you!
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )