I hope you all had a great winter break and are excited to start off 2014 right with UBC-UAEM. We’ve got loads of events coming up for you to get involved as well as several newly established leadership positions will give the club more structure and allow us to pursue greater goals. Meetings this term will run from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in Buchanan B304. If you can drop by anytime during that period (even if its for only a half hour) we would gladly welcome your involvement.
UBC-UAEM is always looking to help students get involved with UBC and the global health community. We believe that providing students with the opportunity to become part of the UBC-UAEM executive board, as well as giving students the opportunity to refine their interests through UBC-UAEM teams, will only serve to help that involvement. That’s why we’re proud to announce a restructure to our club’s organization as well as the addition of several new key positions. In total our club will comprise of:
- Research Executive and Team
- Fundraising Executive and Team
- Advocacy Outreach Executive and Team
- Committee members focus on building awareness for access to medicine in the community. The project of focus for this term is the Trans-Pacific Partnership, members are to coordinate with UAEM leaders on both national and international level to gain awareness regarding the TPP on campus. You can learn more about the trans-pacific partnership and access to medicine at http://www.msf.ca/campaigns/trans-pacific-partnership/.
- Professional Development Executive and Team *Formerly Member Learning*
- Committee members focus to create member learning opportunities for both UAEM members and also the general public. This includes organizing monthly speaker series focused on global health and access to medicine, and also putting together information packages for ease of educating new members of the club. It is also our goal to organize a skills development workshop for the upcoming term.
- Faculty Representatives *New*
- Representatives from different faculties to facilitate communication between UAEM and the students from your faculty. This is crucial in terms of faculty outreach and advertisement for our events.
- Advertising Officer *New*
- Individual with interest to help promote club events within the student body, and also the general public. The advertising officer communicate closely with our faculty representatives.
- Media Officer *New*
- Individual with experience in graphic design, to help promote club events through visual design.
- Booking Representative *New*
- Communicate closely with classroom services, and responsible for booking club event locations.
We hope that the diversity and specificity of the club positions and aspects will help to guide each and every one of you towards a niche in the club as well as foster your interest in UBC-UAEM and UAEM as a whole.
Open positions are indicated by an included description. If you are interested in any of the positions, or have any further questions, please send an email to either of the co-chairs, including a short paragraph about why you would be interested in this position. Alternatively you can come by our booth during our recruitment fair during the first week of term two.
- We will be holding a recruiting fair in the SUB during this first week of school. If you’ve been on the fence about joining the club, or know someone who might be interested, come on by, or send them by to us. We will be in the main concourse, right outside the Art Gallery. For more information, check out our Facebook page, and event page.
- Our first meeting of the year will be this Tuesday January 7th at 7:30PM in Buchanan B304. We hope to see you there!